System Planning Manager
Job Reference: ce0139
Job Type: Permanent
Date Added: 02/07/2012
||Castleford, West Yorkshire
||£50,000 - £55,000 (dependent on experience) +bonus
You will lead a team of engineers responsible for the system planning of the electricity distribution network across Northeast and Yorkshire. The role will involve providing technical leadership to engineers working on the development of our strategic network reinforcement plan, analysis of network performance, future network design policy and production of technical regulatory returns. The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of electrical power systems and a desire to understand and overcome the power system challenges arising from the connection of low carbon technologies. You will be required to frequently liaise with external stakeholders and represent the business on national level working groups.
You will be a key member of System Strategy management team with responsibility for the day-to-day management and development of the System Planning team.
The responsibilities of your team will include:
* Monitoring and reporting on system reliability performance and network utilisation
* Ensuring compliance with external obligations through formal network/technical information submissions
* Developing the 10 year network reinforcement plan
* Helping to shape the future of our changing industry by assisting with new and existing innovation projects
* Understanding the next generation of low carbon energy and how it influences the way our network is operated
* Preparing and delivering network design policies and strategies that serve the business
Key competencies include:
* Ability to manage a team of professional engineers
* Strong decision making skills
* Able to deliver quality outputs to required deadlines
* Good verbal and written communication skills
* Good awareness of electrical power systems and the challenges of a low carbon economy
* Ability to identify, develop and implement innovation solutions
* Computer literate in Microsoft 2010 applications
The successful candidate will either have a degree in electrical engineering/closely related subject or a HNC with proven track record in development of electrical power systems. Previous managerial experience would be desirable but not essential.
The candidate will have experience of electrical power systems and a strong track record of delivering high quality technical work. Experience in at least one of the following areas would be desirable: development of power system solutions to innovative connection of low carbon technologies; working knowledge of electricity industry technical codes; or experience of UK economic regulatory framework.
Northern Powergrid is the power distribution business in Yorkshire and the North East, working through its subsidiaries Northern Powergrid (Northeast) Ltd and Northern Powergrid (Yorkshire) plc. We operate and maintain the electricity distribution network that delivers electricity to more than 3.7 million premises, from Northumberland to North Lincolnshire. Northern Powergrid is a wholly owned subsidiary of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company, based in Des Moines, Iowa, which is a privately owned global provider of energy services. Information on Northern Powergrid and MidAmerican is available on the Internet.
Please visit our website via the Apply Now button to download an application form and return to email@example.com quoting reference number CE0139.
Closing date: Friday 20 July 2012.
Applications are invited from women and men with appropriate experience and qualifications. Applicants are considered on the basis of their suitability for the post irrespective of sex, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment, race, age, disability, religion or belief and pregnancy and maternity. Northern Powergrid recruit on ability and ability alone.